Back to Life

It has been a very rough time for me lately. It started with the injury that I suffered during my last trek (I will write a post on that very soon once the photos are uploaded). Luckily for me there was no fracture though there was a soft tissue injury which still hurts a bit. As a result, I am not able to plan treks till it completely heals.

After this there was an incident in my original dialysis centre. Due to some repair works, they were shifting the machines to another location in the same premises. During the process of shifting something went wrong and the machines were not working. So at very short notice we were told to make alternate arrangements for our hemodialysis. I felt the whole thing was managed very unprofessionally. But it makes no difference to the hospital authorities. The only people who suffered were the patients.

Luckily for me, I got an alternate arrangement done for myself with the help of my contacts. I got a slot at another reputed hospital in Mumbai in two hours.

The treatment here was good though a wee bit more expensive than the original hospital. And what happened after the first round of dialysis here was even more scary. I came home with a normal blood pressure. But once I came home it dropped suddenly.I was not able to lie down as I was getting a bad bout of cramps. I was also having such low pressure that my Bp equipment was not able to measure even. My parents who have always been very supportive were quite scared. We first tried the normal fresh lime water with salt. It didnt work at all. Then we tried concentrated salt water which gave me relief for 5-10 minutes but it went very low soon after.

Again the BP was not measurable and I was feeling breathless. I was gasping for breath. Writing on the bed. Suddenly a bout of cramps made me sit up in pain. Not being able to see anything as I was blacked out due to the low blood pressure. Then again I was forced to lie down and breathless. I didnt know what was happening to me. I was scared. Yet I could not give up. I almost went lifeless. I lost all sense. It was as if it was all over. I was almost gone. It was only the presence of mind of my mother that saved me that night. She took a fist ful of salt and shoved them in my mouth. I still remember that salty taste and in my subconscious mind started wondering what was happening. That taste was awful, but then after a while I realised that I was breathing. My pressure was now measurable.It was on 70/50 and my pulse had come to 45.

I was back to life.

Comments

Unknown said…
That's a really scary experience and it's really alarming for all of us who are on the same boat. As we know, hypotension and muscle cramps are common side effects of hemodialysis and our lives depend on the hands of the medical team that executes the necessary Dialysis Program that we undergo. The side effects of Dialysis are really vague and it could affect almost every part of our body. The predicaments we go through could either make us or break us, and I'm glad you pulled through! I was so touched by your parents' efforts and you're so lucky to have such a supportive family. Hang tight buddy, blessed be! :)
Anonymous said…
Samiir, I have now been reading your blog for quite a bit. I must admit, you do have some serious gut. As i had mentioned to you, in some which ways, I am also a very close witness to something similar in my family. Fortunately, he displays similar levels of grit and that keeps him going. I wish you all the very best. I guess our 'appreciation' of the world and life so deepens when one is faced with a situation of this nature.....

Ravi

Popular Posts